Handbuilt is helping cities, businesses, artists, and educators tell stories about their spaces using a Matterport camera. In the age of COVID, we are being forced to redefine how we interact with each other in physical spaces. Virtual models allow us to bring the space to the customer when it’s hard to do it the other way around.
The Matterport, first released in 2016, combines an ingenious balance of hardware and software to create beautiful, immersive, 3D models of spaces using a combination of digital imaging and infrared rangefinding. The chonk of a camera, whose measurements are accurate down to tolerances of 1%, works using a paired iProduct and a tripod, and can be used to create professional construction drawings and floor plans. It is also VR-ready (a rabbit hole down which we have not yet plunged– maybe one day).
- Art galleries & museums
- Apartment buildings
- Real estate listings & MLS
- Construction projects (before-and-after)
- Engineering & infrastructure
- Energy audits
- Marketing vacant buildings; economic development projects
We have produced models, scans, video content, and photography for a growing and diverse range of public, private, and nonprofit clients around the Midwest, as well as sites of public interest, including:
- Ford Motor Company’s Michigan Central Station – Detroit, Michigan
- Arsenal of Clean – Detroit (Coming October 2020)
- RAYGUN – Des Moines
- Eagle Point Park / City of Dubuque – Dubuque, Iowa
- Steeple Square – Dubuque (Coming October 2020)
- Downtown Grinnell, Iowa (Coming October 2020)
- Hotel Grinnell – Grinnell, Iowa (Coming October 2020)
- Greater Impact House – Detroit (Coming Fall 2020)
- DPI Plumbing and Heating – Detroit
- McNeely Building Group – Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Peace Tree Brewing – Grinnell, Iowa
- Bea’s Detroit
- Juxtaposition Arts – Minneapolis
- Afro Deli – St. Paul
- Plum Health DPC – Detroit
- Bob’s Java Hut – Minneapolis
- Aki’s Bread Haus – Minneapolis
- Sammy’s Avenue Eatery – Minneapolis
- And more!
We offer Matterport services at competitive rates using a transparent fee schedule. We are able to provide estimates for jobs, but prefer to work on an hourly basis given the fact that every site contains unique characteristics and challenges that might make the scanning process substantially easier or harder. Our rates are as follows:
- $150 per hour for on-site imaging (typically a one-hour minimum) and videography.
- $65 per hour for video editing, digital production, and supplemental research or consulting.
- $0.0575/mi (2020 IRS rate) for round-trip mileage (trip charge may not apply for local trips).
- Supplemental lighting, assuming power is available
- Volume discounts for bundled spaces/projects